Wednesday night I sent the dogs outside for their last potty break before bed. I called them back in the house and they both came racing inside. Maggie came in the house holding up her back foot, but I didn't think too much about it at the time, thinking she just stubbed her toe or Bosley stepped on her. The next morning she was still not putting any weight on that foot, so I took a better look at it. The toe on the outside of her foot was very swollen and sore. I gave her a few days of rest, but there was no improvement.
Today I took her to the vet. The vet looked at her foot and took some X-rays. He called me to the back and showed me the X-rays and it was very obvious that her toe was broken. The break is quite bad - it is broken at about a 45 degree angle and the bone is twisted so that there is no bone-to-bone contact at all. In order for a break to heal, there must be bone-to-bone contact, so even if the vet put a cast on it, it would not fix the break.
The vet gave me three options:
1. He can amputate the toe. This is the easiest and least expensive treatment.
2. The vet can surgically correct the break by putting a pin in the toe.
3. I can take Maggie to Calgary to the orthopedic surgeon. This would provide the best results but it will also cost the most. The vet estimated that they would charge $1500 - $3000 to fix her foot. He is sending them the x-rays to get a firm quote, so I will know in the next couple days how much it will actually cost.
At this point, I am really undecided what to do. I am not sure if Maggie will be able to continue in agility missing a toe. I am not sure I will be able to continue in agility after spending $3000 to fix her foot. I need to decide fairly soon, as the longer I wait, the more difficult it will be to fix.
So it looks like this year for Christmas, Maggie is getting surgery (either losing a toe or gaining a metal pin) and I am getting a big credit card bill.