Disclaimer

This is a personal weblog based on my life with Bernese Mountain Dogs. The opinions expressed here represent my own and and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of any clubs, organizations or committees that I may be associated with. Please feel free to comment on any post, but profane, abusive or rude comments will not be tolerated - please be polite, even if you disagree.
All photos and posts in this blog are the property of the blog author and may not be used without direct consent.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Pop!

I have always loved watching dogs who can do a fancy "pop" finish in obedience. Some dogs are very impressive and they do a giant twirling leap into the air, landing perfectly beside their handler. I never gave much thought to teaching this type of finish to my dogs. It always seemed like the kind of thing that a light, bouncy dog can do, not a Bernese (who are not always too light on their feet). Inspired by a combination of a Patty Ruzzo video and very cold weather, I decided to see if I could teach Bosley a pop finish. We have been working at it, a few minutes at a time, for about a week. Bosley thinks this is a whole lot of fun. I started by luring/clicking just a pop-up. Then I added the turn into a finish with a lure. I have now faded the luring and am just rewarding getting into the final position.

Here is a video of what we did today:

8 comments:

  1. he is a good dog!.....that looks great Kim...I may just have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! He sure is a good boy :)
    Vicky (and Claire).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the video! It gives me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool! I too have never attempted that finish with Loki or Blue, but I may have to! You have inspired me.

    Cindy
    www.bernernewf.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - he is a very good dog! Love watching how you train him too~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. he looks so happy and smiley when you're working with him :-)

    Do you have a video link of that sort of finish? I've never seen it.

    ReplyDelete